|Friends Of Holy Trinity Church, Meldreth
Registered Charity No. 289736
On a splendid sunny Sunday afternoon the 11th Car Show was held, organised by The Friends as part of their fund raising activities to preserve the fabric of the oldest building in Meldreth. Just under 50 cars were on display dating from 1924 and covering an eclectic mix spread out in the church yard amongst the gravestones.
The extremes of vehicles can be seen from the Mr Marsh's butchers van capable of perhaps 40 mph while the Ferraris and Lotus Formula Ford Hill Climb special are capable of much more, with the silver Ultima's maximum at 205 mph.
The event was not all about speed but a chance for the public to see cars from over the years and also for the owners to enjoy discussing the finer points of their cars and comparing notes. One rare sight was two MG model WA of which only 369 were made and only 23 are surviving.
To complement the cars there was a selection of older motorbikes and two pedal bikes made by John Brown of Comberton dating from 1925.
A further attraction was a pictorial display of the recently restored most rung church bells in the world with a CCTV camera capturing the movements of the bells when rung.
To round off the afternoon the Memphis Jazz Band played while the ladies supplying teas were kept very busy all afternoon